The Black Friar pub is built on the site of a Dominican monastery which also gives
its name to this area of London (Blackfriars). There is a statue of a jolly friar
in black robes under the clock at the front of the building.
The Victorian building was given a makeover in 1905 at the height of the Art Nouveau
period and the interior is richly decorated in this style, with reliefs by the artists
Frederick Callcott and Henry Poole.